I have been an image consultant and makeover expert for men and women over the last 20 years and one thing that can be very easily changed about your appearance that will take 10-20 years away from your real age (or add 10-20 years) is what you do with your hair. I won’t talk about styling here, but I do want to talk about a few hair raising issues and questions I have specific to the men and women I deal with.
For the Men
I have been an image consultant and makeover expert for men and women over the last 20 years and over the years, I have seen the number of men coloring their hair increase. Men who color their hair seem to be more concerned with their overall appearance and tend to pay more attention to their grooming and appearance. While this is not true for all men, in my experience it is true for many.
In my experience, a large majority of men are open and willing to enhance their hair color for two main reasons:
1. To stay on the job longer because they will look fresh, modern, and more able to compete.
2. To improve their romantic relationships by looking more attractive in order to enhance their sex life.
Coloring hair, using more hair grooming products, going to hair salons instead of barber shops, waxing brows, mani/pedis, and more, are all part of the modern male’s accepted grooming regimen. If you do decide to dye your hair, there are many different hair coloring options available:
1. Darken the grey and gently turn the clock back with semi-permanent hair color which is very natural and inexpensive.
2. Cover the grey completely with permanent hair color which requires the most upkeep.
3. Highlight their hair to get a more outdoorsy sun-kissed look with bleach/lightening products.
4. Add low lights (reverse highlights) to their hair in order to add more of their natural color before it went grey (this works well with medium to dark hair colors) which can be done gradually and leaves almost no obvious re-growth around the hairline for very grey men.
For the Women
A woman’s hair sends many signals about a woman’s sensuality, style and class. Your hair can say you are comfortable in your femininity or not. It can say you are approachable or not. It can tell the world you take exquisite care of yourself or not. The style and color of your hair can say if you are classy or not. Hair is also an amazing indication of a woman’s health.
First and foremost men are attracted to healthy, clean and shiny hair. They want a woman’s hair to be approachable and touchable. A woman’s hair should never be stiff or hard. It has to almost say, “Touch me, I want you to”. Men need to look at a woman’s hair and fantasize about running their fingers through it.
Most men prefer more natural hair colors. Soft and feminine is the key. Most men prefer medium to long hair. However a small percentage of women look amazing in short hair!
In the end, what matters most is the confidence with which a woman wears her hair and the positive energy she exudes. When a woman has the right style, color and cut, there really are no bad hairdays! She will exude sexiness no matter what!
This article is written by Eve Michaels, International Makeover Expert. Eve will be speaking at a “Live” Webinar on Image: The Overlooked Secret of Success on the 23rd August 2012, 7 – 9:30pm. For more details, click here!